I really like soft sugar cookies. The crunchy ones are good too, don’t get me wrong, but there’s just something about a light fluffy sugar cookie. This recipe certainly yields a nice airy cookie. It’s an easy recipe, great for making with the kids. The recipe suggests that you refrigerate the dough overnight, but I didn’t I just put it in for a couple of hours and it was just fine. They’re great with or without frosting.
What you need:
- 1 cup margarine
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cream the margarine and add the sugar gradually. Beat until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at time, mixing well after each addition.
- Stir in the vanilla. Add the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt gradually to the creamed mixture, stirring in by hand. Cover and chill dough overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll dough out on a floured surface to 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick and cut into your favorite shapes. Place cookies onto the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 6 to 8 minutes or until cookie has a golden appearance.